Our History

Leaders of five Amish and Mennonite churches participated in 1947 to construct the first set of buildings and organize the program of Lake Center Christian School, which opened its doors in September 1947. During the first year, sixty patron families enrolled 181 students in Grades 1 through 10. Grades 9 and 10 were discontinued in 1959.  The school was located on three acres of land on what is now Woodmont Street. The Amish built two one-room schoolhouses in 1949 and in 1952, and Hartville Christian School was established in 1956, reducing the LCCS student body to half its size.

With a new building dedicated in 1968, and a new administration committed to growth, LCCS began a gradual increase in size beginning in the 1970s. Kindergarten was introduced. One attempt was made in 1983-84 to revive the high school, but it was discontinued after the one year. In 1984, a generous gift of 36 acres of land on Kaufman Avenue focused the school on rebuilding and moving to a new K-8 facility which opened in 1991.  With rapid growth and interest in LCCS, a decision was made to add a high school program one year at a time with our first senior class graduating in 2007. A junior high and high school addition to the building was dedicated in August of 2005.  In 2011, the school welcomed the first class of preschool students.

The composition of the student body included more and more “other than Mennonite” students after 1965. In 1947 the student body was composed entirely of students from Amish and Mennonite families. Currently about 10% of the student population is from Mennonite Churches, and over 150 other congregations are represented in the LCCS student population.  Lake Center was granted a charter by the State of Ohio in 1972. The year 1977 witnessed the structural change from an association to that of a corporation as it now exists. The present constitution was adopted in that year, but has been revised several times.  LCCS is incorporated under three sponsoring churches – Cornerstone, Hartville, and Maple Grove Mennonite Churches.

Over the years, the school has been characterized by a strong emphasis on educating students in the context of a Biblical worldview that is centered on Jesus Christ.  In addition, volunteerism, fiscal responsibility, and meeting the academic needs of a wide range of students have been central to the operation of the school.  Lake Center Christian School is accredited and holds membership in the Mennonite Schools Council, AdvancED (NCA), and the Association of Christian Schools International.  The school is blessed to serve an average of 600+ students in grades Preschool through 12 each school year.